6.02.2010

RLW: A First American View of His Land

This article was written by an Indian American. At the first glimpse I was confused by the word "Indian", because I was thinking about the India in Asia. Since I began to realize it is about the native Indians in America, I got idea of the whole article. This article shows the Indian's love to his land. They were the first group of people who lived in the American land and their love to the land was deeply rooted in their culture. In the whole article, the writer wanted to emphasize the word "First". She wanted her audiences to know that they were there since "the end of the Ice Age" and they love the land so much. One paragraph I really like is the third paragraph in page 578. In this paragraph, the writer writes that she went back to Kiowa and met an old Kiowa woman who told her stories about their ancestors. This detail is about a person. I think it is very good to write about people and stories with people in an article about environment.Environment is not environment itself, because environment alone doesn't make sense. It should combined with people and stories happened it to make the whole environment meaningful.

3 comments:

  1. It's always easy to confuse Asian Indian with American Indian, because they looks so similar. LOL. I agree that its the people that give environment meanings, or they are just rocks and water.

    ReplyDelete