6.07.2010

RLW: A Thousand-Mile Walk to the Gulf

The article was written by John Muir, who, as far as I know, was abused by his father to memorize the whole bible when he was young. It is clear to me that his writing was affected a lot by the bible. In this essay, he tried to convince audiences to be nice to all the creatures created by the God. He structured his essay with two parts. The first part is telling stories he experienced or heard. He then focused on commenting on the story about the alligators. He suggested that alligators, though cruel and ugly, they were beautiful in the eyes of God. In the second part, he backup his first part with more arguments and examples. He first pointed out the thoughts of normal people, "The world, we are told, was made especially for man." He then suggested that every creatures are equal. The second part is abstract and hard to understand, because it applied many ideas from the bible. However, as I reader, though not fully understand this essay, I could fell his argument in the second part is very strong.

1 comment: